Summer is here! It is time for some fun and colorful crafts!
This summer, I wanted to create something a little different, and I had never tried out making jewelry with felt so I challenged myself. With the vibrant colors of bamboo felt, I was able to create some beautiful pieces that really stand out! I am very excited to present a pair of earrings today, that are SUPER EASY to make. It is only requires basic jewelry tools and pieces, and your two favorite colors of felt. Best part? I am offering you a FREE PDF and SVG Pattern for this project, so enjoy and make a few in different colors!
By the way, you can use other types of felt for this project, but I like the bamboo felt for its earth-friendly properties and it is stronger and softer than wool felt.
For this project, you need:
- Two colors of felt of your choice
- Embroidery floss matching the felt
- Two small jump rings
- Two fishhooks
- Embroidery needle
- Flat-nose pliers
Let’s get started!
- Gather your materials and download the pattern (PDF / SVG).
- Cut the shapes according to pattern. Follow your Cricut machine instructions if you use the SVG file. If you use the PDF pattern and need advice, check the Tips page.
- Sew the wings on the parrot shapes. Using embroidery floss matching the color of the wing, whipstitch the wing on the parrot (use pattern or photos for placement). Use a blanket stitch along the edge. Each earring requires two pieces: front and back. The shapes have to reflect so that the wings face out once sewn together. Sew your second piece.
- Sew the front and back pieces together. With the right sides facing out (wings facing out), blanket stitch both shapes together, using embroidery floss matching the parrot. At the top of the head, insert the jump ring in your stitches to attach it to the parrot. Continue your blanket stitches until you went back around to your very first stitch!
- Hook it! With the help of your pliers, hang the parrot by the ring on a fishhook.
- Repeat for a second earring.
Your earrings are ready! I hope you had a lot of fun making them! Do not hesitate to make more with different colors. Check out the blog for more ideas!