Cacti have been really trendy. They add a nice colorful touch to your home or office. Felt cacti are very easy and fun to make, and much softer than the real thing! I have a few more on the blog so make sure to check them out.
For this tall felt cactus, you need:
- Green Felt
- Green and White Embroidery Floss
- Small Terracotta Pot and fillers
- Embroidery Needle
- Small wood dowels (optional)
1. Cut 8 shapes in green felt, according to pattern.
2. On all 8 shapes, sew straight stitches as a couple of imperfect V’s to imitate a cactus’ spines. Use 2 to 4 strands of white embroidery floss. Make sure you do 4 shapes facing the opposite way (reflecting the other 4 shapes – see the drawing below). The shapes will be sewn together into 4 sections so it is important for the embroideries to be facing out.
3. Sew two shapes together with the right sides facing out (embroideries facing out), using blanket stitches and two strands of green floss, matching the color of your felt. Leave the bottom open. Repeat 4 times until you get 4 sections.
4. Stuff each section gently with fiberfill. A thin and pointy (but not sharp) tool can help you push in the fiberfill (I use a wood dowel).
5. Sew all 4 sections together. With two strands of green floss (matching the color of the felt), use a threaded running stitch going through your blanket stitches, connecting the flat long backs of each section. Sew 2 sections together first, and then add a new one until you’ve connected all 4. The 4th one need to be sewn to the 1st section as well, to close the cactus perfectly. Don’t forget to secure your stitches between each thread!
Your cactus is ready! Make it stand in your terracotta pot and it is ready for display! Add something to fill your pot, such as moss, gems or rocks. I inserted two small wood dowels in two of the cactus’ sections to plant it the rocks and prevent it from falling.
Using the same pattern and techniques, you can make more cactus with different shades of green, or make them larger by adding more sections. Make other types of cacti to multiply the fun and create a nice decorative piece.