This felt cactus is very simple to make and only requires basic hand sewing skills. On top of that, it is much softer than a real cactus! Make it in different shades of green, or with more or less sections to make it bigger or smaller. The cactus is about 2 inches tall. Check out the blog for more cactus projects.
For this project, you need:
- Green Felt
- Green and White Embroidery Floss
- Small Terracotta Pot and fillers
- Embroidery Needle
- Small wood dowels (optional)
1. Cut 16 shapes in green felt, according to pattern.
2. Sew two shapes together to make one section of the cactus. Place two shapes back to back with the sides fitting perfectly. Do not sew the bottom of the section. On the straight edge, sew the two shapes together with a blanket stitch, using two strands of green felt matching the color of your felt. On the round edge, create a crossing stitch to give it a nice design. Use two strands of white thread. Use the drawing below to understand the stitch. Repeat until you make 8 sections.
3. Stuff each section gently with fiberfill. A thin and pointy (but not sharp) tool can help you push in the fiberfill (I use a wood dowel).
4. Sew all 8 sections together. With two strands of green floss (matching the color of the felt), use a threaded running stitch going through your blanket stitches, connecting the flat sides of each section. Sew 2 sections together first, and then add a new one until you’ve connected all 8. The 8th one needs to be attached to the 1st section as well, to close the cactus perfectly. Don’t forget to secure your stitches between each thread!
Your cactus is ready! I told you it was easy 🙂 Make it stand in your terracotta pot and it is ready for display! Add something to fill your pot, such as moss, gems or rocks. I inserted two small wood dowels in two of the cactus’ sections to plant it the rocks and prevent it from falling.
Make other types of cacti to multiply the fun and create a nice decorative piece. Hope you had fun.