Real cacti have such funny shapes sometimes that I wanted to create a fun one in felt also. It requires to make 5 separate parts and sew them together but it is pretty easy. Check out the blog for more cactus ideas. The cactus is about 4 inches tall.
For this cactus, you will need:
- 2 shades of Green Felt (one light, one dark)
- Green (matching both felt colors), Red and White Embroidery Floss
- Small Terracotta Pot and fillers
- Embroidery Needle
- Glue (fabric glue or glue gun)
- Small wood dowels
1. Cut shapes according to pattern.
2. On each shape, decorate them with stitches. To add a red flower like I did, make 5 loop stitches with 2 strands of red thread, all connected by their ends, and add a French knot stitch with the same thread in the center for a nicer finish. With 2 to 4 strands of white thread, make a few crosses with straight stitches to imitate the cactus’ spines.
3. Sew the shapes together. With 2 strands of matching green thread, blanket stitch each shape with its back piece with the right sides facing out (embroideries facing out). Stuff with fiberfill as you go. You can let the thread hang while you’re stuffing. Use a thin and pointy (but not sharp) tool to help push in the fiberfill. Blanket stitch until you reach your very first stitch. Repeat until you get the 5 parts of your cactus.
Important note! Do not sew the bottom of your main center piece so you can insert a wood dowel to plant it in your pot.
4. To put the cactus together in one piece, sew the pieces together with a threaded running stitches going through your blanket stitches. The part facing sideways will be a little trickier than the others. Once each piece is in place, you’ll notice them falling back a bit. Use a little glue to connect them all together and prevent them from moving, it does the trick!
Your funky cactus is now ready! Add something to fill your pot, such as moss, gems or rocks. Insert a wood dowel in the main piece and plant it in your terracotta pot.
Using the same pattern and techniques, you can make more cactus with different shades of green or colors, or make them larger or smaller by adding/removing sections. Make other types of cacti to multiply the fun and create a nice decorative piece.