I was working on some felt cacti, and decided to make a small one in yellow so it can pop and add more color than just green. I think when displayed together with other cacti, it looks really cute. You can make it in any color you think will look nice with your arrangement. For other felt cacti, check out the blog. The cactus is about 1.5 inches tall.
For this cactus you’ll need:
- Yellow and Red Felt
- Yellow Embroidery Floss
- Small Terracotta Pot and fillers
- Embroidery Needle
- Small wood dowels (optional)
1. Cut 10 shapes in yellow felt and 1 flower in red felt, according to pattern.
2. Place two shapes together back-to-back (with the sides fitting perfectly) and sew them together using blanket stitches and two strands of yellow floss, matching the color of your felt. Leave the bottom open. Repeat 5 times until you get 5 sections.
3. Stuff each section gently with fiberfill. A thin and pointy (but not sharp) tool can help you push in the fiberfill (I use a wood dowel).
4. Sew all 5 sections together. With two strands of yellow thread (matching the color of the felt), use a threaded running stitch going through your blanket stitches, connecting the flat sides of each section. Sew 2 sections together first, and then add a new one until you’ve connected all 5. The 5th one needs to be sewn to the 1st section as well, to close the cactus perfectly. Don’t forget to secure your stitches between each thread!
5. Once your little yellow cactus is ready, sew the red flower on top with a French knot stitch, using two strands of yellow thread. You can also glue the flower on top if you prefer.
Your colorful cactus is now ready! Make it stand in your terracotta pot and it is ready for display! Add something to fill your pot, such as moss, gems or rocks. I inserted two small wood dowels in two of the cactus’ sections to plant it the rocks and prevent it from falling.
Using the same pattern and techniques, you can make more cactus with different colors, or make them larger or skinnier by adding/removing sections. Make other types of cacti to multiply the fun and create a nice decorative piece. Hope you had fun.